THE USE OF GRAPHIC DESIGN ELEMENTS FOR WOMEN NEWSPAPER DESIGN.
THESIS ADVISOR : ASSOC. PROF. SUPPAKORN DISATAPUNDHU, Ph.D.
300 pp. ISBN 974-17-6521-5.
The objectives of this research are 1) to study graphic elements method that can illustrate personality of women newspaper and 2) to identify the desirable format of women newspaper.
The research methodology employed in this study is the questionnaire which derived from literature review related to newspaper, graphic elements method for print media design and twelve sample sizes of different daily newspapers. In order to acquire an in-depth understanding and comprehensible view of desirable for women newspaper design, graphic elements that related to that personality as well as other desirable elements for women newspaper, seven experts in editorial department and seven design experts were the respondents.
Overall, the findings of this research reveal that the most desirable personalities for women newspaper design are Modern, Chic and Natural. Each personality has significant graphic elements as following :
Modern : Significant elements of Modern personality comprises of
- Composition: The graduation composition which creates attractiveness by having an anomaly and outstanding structure. This in turn, creates focal point and dynamic movement.
- Color: Dark to black color that has narrow - limited hue coupled with bright color tone.
- Font Type: Round shape of Thai font style that has harmonious proportion and consistent stroke with the urban-polite look.
Chic : Significant elements of Chic personality comprises of
- Composition: The proportion composition with distinctive scale, having rhythm and concentration to create attentiveness.
- Color: Vivid and bright color tone with wide hue coupled with similar color tone.
- Font Type: Round shape of Thai font style with light and consistent stroke.
Natural : Significant elements of Chic personality comprises of
- Composition: The movement composition with rhythm that creates focal point by generating stand out and harmonious perspective.
- Color: Warm color with restricted hue that appears naturally eg. Earth Tone color coupled with gradient gradually step by step.
- Font Type: Free form Thai font style with inconsistent stroke.
In addition, it is found that the crucial factors of desirable elements of women newspaper are
- Size: Tabloid size (12 × 15 Inches)
- Number of Pages: 16-24 pages
- Number of Topics: 1-4 topics/ page
- Type of Printed Paper: White pond paper
- Type of Contents: 10 types as stated in alphabetical order. Daily News, Economics News, Education News, Entertainment News, International news, Political News , Public Health News, Scientific News, Social News and Sports News.
- Type of Columns and Documentaries: 16 Types as stated in alphabetical order. Art and Culture, Automobile, Classified, Special Scoop, Editorial, Advertisement, Entertainment, Health and Quality of Life, History, Horoscope, Lifestyle and Fashion, Literature, Nature - Environment and Tourism, Night Life, Stars and Jet Set Gossip, Women’s Issue.
PIBOOL WAIJITTRAGUM : # # 4687016135 : MAJOR CREATIVE ARTS
KEY WORD: GRAPHIC DESIGN / ELEMENTS / WOMEN / NEWSPAPER DESIGN
Department Creative Arts Field of study Creative Arts
Academic year 2004